Saturday, November 20, 2010

The story

Feel free to skip this post if you hate birth stories. I happen to love them and need to record this for journaling purposes anyway. :)

Because I have big babies with big heads, and because I had family that needed to schedule flights, my doctor took pity on me and scheduled me to be induced at 39 weeks, and I must say it was sooooo nice to know the day this baby would come! That morning we checked into the hospital and got settled. Here's the before picture of my puffy self:
  After blowing two of my veins (I have some very large battlewounds from that lovely experience), my very nice nurse got my IV in (I really hate IV's) and they got the pitocin pumping at about 9:30am. I was dilated to a 3 when we checked in, and by 2:30 I was at a whopping 4. I thought I had a long long day and evening ahead of me...
 I got the epidural and the doctor broke my water, and then things really started to pick up. I know this for a fact because MY EPIDUAL DIDN'T WORK properly. Seriously people, I'm a wimp. I cried my way through an hour of hard contractions and went from a 4 to a 10 in about 45 minutes. Then I pushed for just over 10 minutes (which felt like 2 hours), and out she came, sunny-side up. The fact that she was posterior added a lot to the pain I was having, the doctor explained, but I was just so relieved she was OUT and that she was, in fact, a SHE that I got over the pain pretty quickly. Here we are at our first face-to-face meeting. I love this moment:
 And here's my hubby, who was a champ during labor and who continues to be super-daddy/husband since we've been home. I don't know what I would do without the guy.
 And here's the finished product, born on 11/11/10 at 3:37pm:

5 comments:

Ashley said...

How sweet! And awesome!

I remember 2-3 days after we got Kendra home one night, I found myself distraught. Grant's Mom was with us but we were all completely FRIED caring for this child, I was sure that I would never be able to do it again...after all of my dreams and our dreams of having a BIG family, this one baby was going to be it, but I was sure I could NEVER do it again with other children to care for!

But, it did pass. And although I know it'll be tough, I feel better prepared for it now that I've done it once.

And...at least I know that it WILL pass.

So glad you have help! Have such a Happy Thanksgiving!

Nick and Melanie Munns said...

Oh my gosh, my wyatt was posterior too and it was my most painful labor, we didn't know he was until he came. Then with Crawford, 2 different nurses poked me two times each to try to get my i.v. working, I felt like I should have had my epidural in my ARM, lol.

Linds said...

Congrats! your little Cora is beautiful! So did your epidural ever start working? Or did you deliver her posterior basically au natural? Amazing!! Glad all went well.

Amy said...

It was fun to read this! I am so sorry your epidural didn't work...I feel your pain! But she is here and perfect!

rachel said...

Beautiful!