Friday, February 6, 2009

My favorite books...

I love to read but rarely indulge. Because of my "all-or-nothing" personality that I can't seem to change, I end up forsaking as many of my stay-at-home-mom duties and responsibilities as possible until the book I'm reading is finished. This seems to be the case, even if I don't like the book that much (example: Twilight. Don't hate me. I just don't like it). I just need to have it over with so I can know what happens and move on.



ANYWAY, I recently made my brother Daniel read my all time favorite book, and this got me thinking about others that I love. So, in case you're interested, here are my top three. The last one is a recent find, but the other two I read every year because I love them so much.




#1: "There Are No Children Here" by Alex Kotlowitz. Non-fiction. This book was introduced to me in my juvenile delinquency sociology class at BYU. It opened my "naive-utah-girl-21-year-old" eyes, and I daresay it changed my perspective on things forever. Incidentally, I can't find my copy, and I think I lent it out to someone. If that person is you, let me know! :)






#2: "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. Everyone thinks this book is so popular, but I'm surprised by the number of people that have never read it! It is so worth it! One of my favorite memories is when Brad and I took turns reading it out loud to each other in the evenings, right after Nick was born. So well written, so witty, so suspenseful. Brad will readily admit that he likes it (which is no small feat) and he even watches the movie with me -- the long A&E version, NOT the Kiera Knightly version, which was utterly disappointing. "Read it! I know you'll love it!" Name that movie.

#3: "North and South" by Elizabeth Gaskell. I just read this a couple months ago, and it is fantastic. Equally as good is the movie that the BBC did of it in 2004. A great pick for Valentines weekend!

I'm having a "curl-up-with-a-great-novel" craving, so if anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears!

10 comments:

Liz said...

I'm going to have to go check out your suggestions! I just read one called "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Maryann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. Yes, the title is correct! I thought it was FANTASTIC! If you are a lover of books, you'll love it, too...I hope!

April said...

That's so funny that you mention no one reading Pride & Prejudice. Last night I was at a dinner and the lady next to me was talking about the piano music playing because it was from the Kiera Knightly version of P&P, and then she got to talking about the A&E movie version... and I asked if she'd ever read the book, and the answer was no. I read it in junior high or high school, but only once. Whenever I think about this book, I think of You've Got Mail because remember how shopgirl wants ny152 to read it, and he doesn't like it? Anyway. You probably already know this, but one of my VERY favorite books is Little Women, and I try to read it at least every few years because it is so uplifting and well-written... it just sucks me right into their world, and I love it so much. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend doing so, because if you like P&P, I think you would like Little Women. Now I want to go read something. Maybe I'll try that first book you mentioned. Do you like my long, detailed comment? I didn't mean for it to turn out like this, but oh well!

Mallory said...

OH YEAH! You told me about There are No Children Here. I've actually got a little time to read it now. I'll have to find it.

April said...

Oh, ha ha!! I had to come back and see the quote! I thought I read the whole post, but I somehow must have missed it! I would have known it was You've Got Mail... ha ha! Such a great movie!!

Heather C. said...

I just finished Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, I picked it up on a whim while on vacation and surprisingly LOVED it. It is totally not my kind of book and I was expecting to be bored but it was surprisingly deep, thematic and psychologically challenging. Try it, you'll like it :)

Lori said...

You've Got Mail is one of my all time favorite movies. AND I have to second what Liz said about "The Guersey. . .", I thought of that one instantly when I read your blog. I have a copy but I've loaned it out and am not sure of it's location :). If I get it back, I'll let you know. It's one of my all time favorites.

The Forbes Family said...

Cool, I'll have to check those out! I wonder if Jason would read p&p with me?! It might take some work...but if I tell him Brad did it, there's some leverage! Ever read Tuesdays with Morrie? I really like that one, and the movie is great, too. btw, we're counting on you guys to go to Mexico with us in a few years! ;)

Becky said...

Hey Bekah my love, I have some not so happy news for you that I don't really want to leave on here, so would you call me as soon as you can? Or email me if you don't have my number rschristiansen@gmail.com Love you!

theminerfamily said...

Thanks Bekah! I am not a reader, but I think I will go pick up one of these... if not all. I have to say I have always love the north and south movie!
I already told myself that once I finish the project I am working on (Anna's one year book), then I get curl up with a good book!

Unknown said...

Have you read Middlemarch? It is my FAVORITE! I also like Sense and Sensiblity, Charlotte's Web, The Witch of Blackbird Pond, To Kill a Mockingbird...I could go on and on and on here, but I'll stop there. (I love to read too!)