Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Sunday afternoon and a dissertation defense

Sunday is the day when I am the most home-sick, probably because I know that my family and Brad's family is all together and we're the only ones missing. And while we have great friends-that-feel-like family in PA, I think Brad and I are the most tired on Sunday, especailly when he was teaching seminary, and often didn't feel like entertaining. I was having some guilt over the fact that I rarely make a nice Sunday meal, so I finally bucked up, made a nice dinner, and had the Smith's over. After we ate we spent the beautiful evening outside.

Lorraine climbed this tree. See her way at the top?
 Here's a close-up
 Cora LOVES to be outside


 She had a bit of a cold and Jessica and I caught her coughing into her elbow, just like I'm always trying to train my boys to do...

 Later that week, Brad defended his dissertation. Since we're not going back for graduation next month, I insisted on coming. I even brought cookies.

 This is the view outside of Brad's office window. I will always miss gorgeous State College, PA, and feel blessed to have lived there.
After it was decided that he passed (it took about all of 2 minutes) we went out to eat to celebrate before picking the kids up. The whole event felt surreal and I still can't believe that we lived in PA for 5 years and that Brad has a PhD. I didn't understand a lot of what he said during his defense, but I was still proud of my smart man!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I took muffins to Serge's defense. I was the only one who attended apart from his committee. Serge thinks I understood his presentation (he gave it to me a few times and it sounded coherent) but I really didn't.